Cryin’ And Lonely

This one is a Green Album-era rehearsal tune that was demoed by the band several times after their tour in the summer of 2000 — part of a collection of home recordings that are identified in the Recording History as the October Demos. It was attempted three times that month, then at the end of December in S.I.R. Studios in Los Angeles. Finally, it made the actual Green recordings, tracked on 12/28/00, but it apparently didn’t even make the professional mixing round of the album. It is one of the few official Green recordings that were never officially released.

How and when we got it, and which version we have, I’m not exactly sure. But it’s interesting that this song came so soon after Summer Songs 2000. That material was part of Cuomo’s efforts to make his songs less and less personal, beginning sometime around our last entry, 1997’s “Lover In The Snow.” “Cryin’ And Lonely” is arguably the ultimate realization of that process — it just surprises me that it took such a brief amount of time to get from “O Girl” to “Cryin’ And Lonely” (a matter of months), when “Lover In The Snow” to “O Girl” took three years.

Then again, considering that this one was written in the midst of a ton of Green album tracks and b-sides — in the COR, it is immediately preceded by “Don’t Let Go” and the unforgivably titled “Sugar Booger,” and doesn’t come too far before “Simple Pages” and “O Lisa” — maybe it’s not all that surprising. But even those relatively sterile songs brim with life when compared to “Cryin’ And Lonely.” There is some personal investment in the lyrics — the chorus of which goes, “And all the times we break up, the world could come to an end / I see the simple freedom in your eyes / But I won’t be there when you’re crying and lonely tonight” — but amid the rote Green Day schlock of the musical accompaniment, the words just never come to life. The solo is respectable enough (for Green), and Pat Wilson’s drumming on the final chorus is nice and lively, but aside from the little hook at the end of the chorus, there’s really not much to appreciate here. The band was wise to ax it.

1. Adroit wrote:

Just listened to this song for the first time after reading your post. God it’s poor, really poor.

I can picture the look of boredom on Brians face. I read he nearly got kicked out the band for complacency during this period. This is the audible epitomy of why he might have felt that way.
    I just looked under ‘Inconsequential’ in my dictionary. It says ‘Green Day-lite’.

Next!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

You posted this, and I realized I hadn’t heard this song, or it’s equally rubbish counterpart “New Joint”, since the mp3s were released way back when. I didn’t even have the files anymore. You’re right, there’s not really anything noteworthy about this one to comment on.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 4:36 pm | Permalink
  3. Alberto wrote:

I really like the verse melody, specially the “it’s a long and lonely road” part, but the song doesn’t go anywhere else.

But yeah, you can tell Rivers didn’t invest too much time in writing it (and less in arrangements)

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Adroit: I am sorry for having subjected you to that. : P

Also, really? My respect for Brian increases all the time. First I hear about how he desperately wanted to get “Miss Sweeney” on TRA, then I hear Pinkerton is his favorite Weezer album, then I notice he’s the only one in the band who seems to still enjoy playing live (if the Hootenannies and AOL Sessions ’08 are any indication). I knew that he almost got fired circa 2000, but I had no idea it was out of apathy. I’d be pretty apathetic if I were in the band around then, too (okay, so I would actually be playing my heart out on “Cryin’ And Lonely” were I in the studio, but who out of us wouldn’t?).

Regardless — he’s the fuckin’ man.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  5. tapegun wrote:

it’s really the height of the =w= machine age, chugging out new songs out every day.

it’s all just a damn shame.

anyone notice even in the green demos all the same words are used…

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Yeah, remember Cuomo bragging that he could bang out a song in 30 minutes? Here’s a fine example.

I noticed that on TGA too, but yeah, every song of this era is a formulaic lyric rehash of one another. Makes them even less distinguishable than the repetitive music itself.

Does anyone have a list of all the times Cuomo’s reused lines and words from the TGA songs? It’d save me some inevitable grunt work.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 6:55 pm | Permalink
  7. tapegun wrote:

soy – i thought about doing that, and then i said to myself, “just what the hell am i doing?” it’s like paying for a study that proves “beer goggles” exist…and yes, this actually happened in the u.k., i heard it on npr today.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 7:36 pm | Permalink
  8. Low wrote:

i’ve heard this song a couple times and can’t remeber how it goes. that tells something.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 3:14 am | Permalink
  9. Sick Nick wrote:

This song never did anything for me. If only we had gotten No Way instead of this track. I do prefer New Joint to CAL, At least for it’s catchieness if nothing else.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Seriously, Nick. Especially considering “No Way” is one of Cuomo’s favorite 2 demos of 2000!

Which also means, maybe on Alone 3…

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 9:04 am | Permalink
  11. Alberto wrote:

Considering that both were written around the same time, probably No Way has the same flaws that C&L, and it’s undeveloped and with a crap chorus.

Someday we’ll know

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 9:51 am | Permalink

TAATO was written around the same time as EGD, no? and “Sweeney,” “Pig,” “The Spider”…

Also, even if it’s undeveloped, the idea is amazing. Dark, minimalist, threatening verses (“I’m gonna break your heart for good…”), which builds and explodes into that call-and-response chorus. It sounds like it fucking kicks ass to me.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 10:11 am | Permalink
  13. Alberto wrote:

I also want to have the full version of No Way, it’s just that I don’t have too much expectations about what we haven’t heard of it.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 10:55 am | Permalink

I doubt it’s any masterpiece. But I still think it’s one of the best songs of the era based on the clip we have of it alone (same goes for “Burning Sun”).

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 10:59 am | Permalink
  15. skiz wrote:

none of the green demos don’t do anything for me. they are all just so formulaic and lazy sounding. by the way, you guys should hunt down the rehearsal footage of this song, new joint, and sugar booger that were posted on .com back in fall 2000. they were part of the videos in the =w=fanclub online experiment. yes, you can see the bordeom on their faces.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Where the hell might THAT stuff be?

Paging all Weezer media archivists…

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Ah, poop… I know I had those on my old laptop. They might be burned onto a CD somewhere.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 1:21 pm | Permalink
  18. Sick Nick wrote:

Soyrev, once again we are in agreement. Burning Sun could have been the best song on green if it had been released. I love the emotion in his voice which is only hinted at once on green (the latter part of Simple Pages). For me it’s all about Burning Sun and No Way. now if we could only get full recordings.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

“Burning Sun” is lovely. That opening the record, plus “I Do” properly ending it and “Island in the Sun” in there somewhere, would’ve made nice bookends to an album w/ a loose concept about the sun as metaphor for failed romance (which would be an especially nice comment on summer flings, considering TGA is definitely Weezer’s summer album) Throw “Longtime Sunshine” in the middle and you’ve got the framework for another classic album right there (okay, so LS is a bit of a stretch in terms of the timeline/feasibility, but it was never used and TGA was the next album, so hey).

I think once I’m done w/ each album, I’m going to make a post summarizing how I feel about them — and, in the case of TGA through TRA, the tracklists I would’ve preferred for the record. It really is painful to think about, but with just some simple track choice changes (not even “Why didn’t they write better songs for this one,” but “Why didn’t they choose better songs for this one”!) and some common-sense decisions about production (TRA is the only post-Pinkerton album with an acceptable sound, in my opinion), Weezer could have been the classic band of the 90s — the Beach Boys of our generation, easily.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 3:41 pm | Permalink
  20. Sick Nick wrote:

I think 98% of the faults the past 4 albums have had don’t so much lay in bad song writing but bad choices. crab over burning sun? american gigalo over ain’t got much time? everybody get dangerous over miss sweeney? just let me at those recordings next time rivers and i’ll put together a perfect album.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Mine would be perfect-er!

Friday, August 15, 2008 at 1:07 am | Permalink
  22. Sick Nick wrote:

team effort then?

Friday, August 15, 2008 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I like the way you think.

Now, to convince the band…

Friday, August 15, 2008 at 8:05 am | Permalink
  24. skiz65 wrote:

I think that the “finished” version of “No Way” probably doesn’t have minimalist verses. The clip we have was probably just Rivers showing the guys the basic chord progression. The whole song is probably typical Green era chugging guitars. The melody that we can hear is nice though. You’re right, it’s probably no masterpiece, but it’s most likely better than stuff like Cryin & Lonely.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 8:52 am | Permalink

For better or for worse, Rivers’ home demo of it is one of the few ones he finds worth remembering from whatever year it was he wrote it (1999 or 2000).

And you might be right, but I do hope the spare first verse is in whatever version we eventually get. The way the other instruments swell into the arrangement is really cool.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink
  26. Willy Dee wrote:

First off, I really like what you’ve done with this website, soy. Thanks.

But I find it ironic, that after all the work you’ve put into it and the great response it has received…for you to say Weezer COULD have been the classic band of the 90s. I find it even more ironic that you then say “the Beach Boys of our generation” because I find the Beach Boys later output to suck worse than Weezer’s.

I’m sure it’s just typical Weezer frustration with how things have gone — because I think anyone who comes to this site recognizes the genius of Weezer. And you’re right that it has more to do with track choices than songwriting. I will enjoy reading your album reviews and alternate tracklistings a lot if you do them.

I have faith that Karl’s compilation Odds and Ends will be satisfy all of us. Because it’s a third party picking Rivers’ best songs.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the compliments, the Beach Boys debate is one I hope to get back to you on in a week (when finals are over)…But right quick:

1) Presuming I ever “complete” this website, the album reviews (more like gigantic essays) and suggested alternate tracklistings will definitely be done. I imagine that’d be the funnest part of the whole thing.

2) Perhaps unfortunately, Rivers is picking all the Odds & Ends songs. Karl hasn’t seen a final tracklist last we heard but has said recently that the stuff in consideration was mostly high quality.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Permalink
  28. Nate wrote:

I don’t understand why everyone is saying “unfortunately” Rivers is picking O&E. He obviously picked Alone, and those were awesome. Plus, who else would know the material better than him?

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 8:13 am | Permalink

It depends. He picked the tracklistings for the Alones during the Red period, when he was (regardless of how that album came out) in his most creative and adventurous mindset since ’97/’98. Maybe that’s just a coincidence and he can still pick a great tracklist for O&E, but I think I’d feel safest if Brian did the tracklist…despite the rare missteps as a songwriter (stuff like “Hand to Hold”), he’s got the best sense of what’s good in Rivers’ work. He single-handedly got “The Other Way” onto Make Believe, he desperately wanted “Miss Sweeney” on Red, you have him to thank for hearing “Susanne” on the Red tour, etc etc…

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink
  30. skiz65 wrote:

I think that Rivers approached the Alone tracklists with a different mindset than a typical weezer release. He seemed quite aware that the Alones had a limited audience, and they were structured more like musical autobiographical portraits. There are probably many more variables in his mind when it comes to selecting tracklists for weezer releases, including to some degree commercial considerations.

Friday, May 7, 2010 at 7:47 am | Permalink

I think commercial considerations are his primary concerns. If I remember correctly, Rivers values Geffen’s opinion more than his own bandmates…

Friday, May 7, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink