Chief Auto Parts Jingle

Not exactly sure what the deal with this “song” is, but it’s dated 1994 and is apparently from an interview. It is, as its “title” suggests, a jingle for a southwestern automechanics chain called Chief Auto Parts (which, according to its Wiki, merged with AutoZone in 1998). I would guess this song was an improvised joke, but the vocal harmonies are a little too dead-on for it to be spontaneous. If anyone knows where this song came from, what it is (a cover of a jingle? an original jingle the band wrote?), or why they’re playing it, please do sound off in the comments.

(Update 10/18/08: Evidently, this is a jingle that was nigh inescapable in the early ’90s. Still leaves the question of why Weezer was playing it…)

1. tsarczar wrote:

Not your brightest moment on this songblog…

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Can’t really help you with the origin of this, other than that it was among the ‘rarities’ being traded around in the earliest days of the internet community. I remember hearing this a LONG time ago, but I can’t recall if it was ever given any context. Have you checked Karl’s recording history? I think it lists radio appearances.

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

also, i just checked the mp3 that’s available on weerez… it’s sourced from a longer audio file, which contains more of the interview… i don’t know if I still have that lying around on a CD somewhere or not. i haven’t thought about it in many years.

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 8:01 pm | Permalink
  4. Low wrote:

mp3 plz.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 4:00 am | Permalink
  5. tsarczar wrote:

lol i knew you were striving to be complete when you covered axe guitar, but i hadn’t thought about this jingle in a while. i guess this means that the dukes of hazzard theme will be on here as well. speaking of, i was looking through my old mp3 file and found ‘keg party girls’ lol. i don’t think i ever figured out what band made this, even though everyone assured me it wasn’t weezer.

hmmm… in here i also have a song called ‘ex-girlfriend’ by weezer…. sounds sorta like a Self song 😉

Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 6:51 am | Permalink
  6. tsarczar wrote:

I’ve got the 2:12 interview that the car jingle came out of if you need it….

Car jingle gets its own post but not ‘good ole boys’? Blasphemy.

Paint by Numbers was leaked as a Weezer track before they started up ss2k, so not knowing any better, I naturally thought it was a Weezer song (you gotta realize we had less than 50 songs at the time to judge Cuomo’s voice, and it had changed a lot between blue and pink that we didn’t really know what to expect out of the next album).

After I figured out it was Self, I got Breakfast with Girls. Pretty decent record, but it didn’t inspire me to purchase any more of their stuff. Although I really dug Paint by Numbers. I would have rather had that than Glorious Day lol.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Oh, c’mon — BWG has some of my favorite songs of all time! “What Are You Thinking?” “Callgirls,” and “Placing the Blame” are fucking impeccable. Matt went really all-out with that record though, it’s too exhausting a listen for most…(so much going on!)

PM me on albumsix and I can hook you up with some other Self, if you’d like. Ornament & Crime (Self’s big sell-out record that never got released due to their label going under) is basically what I wish Green or Make Believe could have been. One of the best summer records ever.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 9:09 am | Permalink
  8. flippant81 wrote:

You used to hear that jingle a ton in the early 90’s.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 9:12 am | Permalink
  9. Low wrote:

i can’t find it on weerez. heh, nevermind.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Yeah, it’s not like it’s anything particularly worth searching for, but the Tsar posted this on A6:

Gives a bit of context, too. And thank you for the tip, flippant!

Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 3:11 pm | Permalink