Intro

It’s a nice coincience that we get to discuss this track just around the time that MS posts his new interview with Weezer friend, webmaster and historian Karl Koch, because in truth, this kickstarter for the band’s quasi-official, live-recorded Summer Songs 2000 album is more the work of Koch than anyone actually in Weezer per se. In fact, it might as well be accredited to Koch’s sound collage project Karlophone, because that’s what this is. It samples perhaps almost exclusively from Brady Bunch dialogue and TV soundtrack, resulting in a whole lot of disorienting commotion and a bit of lower-school humor and narrative (the father’s voice is manipulated to say, “I don’t like girls…I like Greg.” His wife replies, “That isn’t right!” and so he concludes, “I don’t like Greg”). I’m really not sure what purpose it was meant to serve or what anyone in the band thought of it, since it feels rather pointless and doesn’t segue into “Modern Dukes” particularly well. The only thing ostensibly relating to Weezer or the songs on this slapdash, free download-only “album” is the beginning quotation, which ramblingly states, “With the way songs are nowadays, you can’t understand the words well enough to understand half of what they’re saying anyway” (paraphrase). This might be a reference to how it’s often hard to make out the lyrics on the songs that follow (or on either of the prior Weezer records, really), and how the band would also switch up lyrics almost every night to prevent the audience members from learning the words based off the previous night’s fan-made and Napster-distributed bootleg. But that hardly justifies its existence, or its awkward placement as track 1 on a disc otherwise full of hastily edited live recordings.

In all, it’s a pretty harmless tune that time has largely forgotten (hell, sometimes it seems like people have forgotten most of SS2K period!). Not particularly discussable nor interesting, though perhaps good for a onetime laugh.

1. walfred wrote:

The Very Best. Do it!

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

When I first heard SS2K, this really weirded me out.

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Permalink
  3. brado8 wrote:

Your mother and I, don’t like what just happenned… Your mother and I, like what just happenned…

I dunno. It’s amusing enough, but is it Weezer? NO.

*awaits next tune patiently*

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Permalink
  4. Xavier wrote:

“I… don’t like… apple sauce” is easily the funniest line. But overall this song is really pointless, in my opinion. It’s kind of just… noise.

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Props to walfred. My favorite comment in a while.

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

trivia bit: this track made it’s first appearance on a video clip of the Green album recording sessions Karl posted way back when… It featured Mikey rolling balls or something down the hallway towards the camera, and other such nonsense… as I recall.

Does anyone have all those pre-Green karl videos archived somewhere?

Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 1:07 am | Permalink

how have people forgotten about the SS2K?

Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Outside of a few acknowledged greats (“My Brain,” “O Girl”), people rarely discuss it and seldom seem to care. Even after listening to each song several times, I still have a hard time telling a lot of those songs apart, and I know I’m not alone on that.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

There isn’t a lot of standouts on SS2K. I like O Girl, and Modern Dukes, but that’s pretty much it.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Permalink
  11. GuessWho wrote:

Aside from the aforementioned O Girl and My Brain, I’m partial to the SS2K version of Slob myself; it’s more energetic and angry than the boring, whiny Maladroit version.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
  12. brado8 wrote:

‘When I think of SS2K favorites, the songs that come to mind are “O Girl,” “Mad Kow” and “My Brain” (in that order). Some of the others are decent, but on the whole, it’s no great crime that they are often ignored.’

I agree. I remember when I saw them, I loved ‘Mad Kow’. I was singing along by the second chorus!

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Permalink
  13. NoobcakesMcGee wrote:

Yeah, I’ll have to agree with the contention that the SS2K songs are for the most part indistinguishable to my memory. Save for O Girl, Mad Kow, and My Brain, of course.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Permalink
  14. slyas wrote:

THe intro to the camden shows and other shows of that era, the instrumental with a bass line like only in dreams, and a key change towards the end, is actually amazing. Id buy an mp3 of that.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 at 5:54 am | Permalink

I totally disagree; in fact, I’d go so far as to say SS2k is under-rated. Superstar, Slob, O Girl, Preacher’s Son, My Brain…all fantastic songs. The pure conviction this stuff was played with live is almost enough for me to love them.

If SS2k is forgotten by some, it’s do their own disservice.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Sylas, you’re getting a bit confused: you’re thinking of “Hyde,” which was a rather improvised intro to a lot of the band’s late ’01/early ’02 shows. But yes, that song is INCREDIBLE (in its best form, at least), and I can’t wait to discuss it here.

Thom: I’d give “O Girl” 5 stars, “Mad Kow” and “My Brain” 4 stars, and a few others 3 stars (like “Superstar” and “Modern Dukes”). They’re pretty solidly decent, but rarely something truly special; though yes, the honesty and energy with which they were performed paint a pretty flattering picture. Then again, the early Maladroit songs were performed very sincerely live, which couldn’t save most of them…

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

To each his own, but I’d take Preacher’s Son, (early) Slob, O Girl, Mad Kow, and Superstar over a good chunk of the Red album.

Although I’d agree most aren’t what you’d call “truly special,” a few of them are in my mind.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Permalink
  18. OhWeezer96 wrote:

wow. I have never in my life heard this song, and i thought i had the “official” SS2K album, well now i do…thanks for bringing this song to my attention Soy!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome…not that this is a particularly essential (or even really Weezer) track.

Thom: I would definitely take “Mad Kow” and “Superstar” (SS2K versions) over the majority of the proper Red Album…and “O Girl” I would take over all but one of those tracks. “Preacher’s Son” and early “Slob” might be better than crap like “Everybody Get Dangerous” and “Cold Dark World” but I’m not as big on those tracks by any means.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Anyone else think that this would’ve made an awesome hidden track on Green?

Sunday, September 20, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Not really. Maybe if it was one of those old-school CD tricks where you had to rewind from track 1 to access a “track 0,” but this tacked anywhere after “O Girlfriend” would kind of compromise the album’s one true soul-bearing moment.

Monday, September 21, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Permalink
  22. Peace Pipe wrote:

Can anyone post a link?! This is the only SS2K song I don’t have. I gotta say, this is my favorite album of theirs, I’d love to get my hands on this. Someone please post or email a link to this song!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink