The Zep Song

Also known as “Zep Jamb,” or frequently mislabeled as “I’m Not In Love With You,” this little ditty is one of the very earliest Maladroit sketches on record. It was attempted at the DC Demos session in May of 2001, while Mikey Welsh was still playing with the band, and also performed many on their world tour that summer (Welsh’s last). By the following January, the band recorded it during the official Maladroit sessions with Scott Shriner now manning the low notes.

The only interesting thing I can say about this song is that its rather obvious titular reference to Led Zeppelin is reiterated in its lyrics, which repeatedly urges a probably female somebody to “lay money down” — a reference to the lyrics of both “Living Loving Maid” and “Heartbreaker” of Led Zeppelin II (“you better lay your money down” and “see how the fellas lay their money down,” respectively). These are practically the “Zep” lyrics in their entirety: other phrases in the song include “love me,” “hey baby,” “I’m not in love with you,” and “alright.” No wonder it was originally dubbed a “jamb.”

Between the two studio recordings and one live bootleg I have (at the hilarious June 2001 Dortmund show), I can find no redeeming quality to this song. On the live bootleg, Welsh’s falsetto backup on the “I’m not in love with you” bridge is pretty okay, I guess. Then there’s the DC version, which lacks even that detail, and the Shriner/Maladroit take that manages to be the worst of the lot.

This is Rivers Cuomo at the very nadir of his antagonist Maladroit phase, pretending to be any one of the stereotypical metal band heroes of his youth without making much worthwhile out of the mimicry.

I like the riff but that’s all this “song” is; a riff repeated over and over again with barely any lyrics in front of it. This is an addition to the very worst that I can definitely agree with… just not a remarkable song by any stretch of the imagination. I think the Shriner version of it is worse because of the terrible choice to change the pitch… makes it sound awkward and cookie-cutter… well more so than it already was.

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 12:31 pm | Permalink
  2. justbluemyself wrote:

Yeah, this “song” blows.

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 1:27 pm | Permalink
  3. PeeGrinder wrote:

Pedantic stuff out of the way first: I’m not sure there was ever a “The” in the title, plus it did briefly appear on setlists as ‘I’m Not In Love With You’ – I saw a scan of one of these recently.

The worst of the Maladroit riff-rock output? Not for me when compared to the likes of ‘Change The World’, ‘Serendipity’, ‘Ain’t Got Much Time’ and ‘Your Room’. To me, it was a fun song that caused no harm by being a coolish live/free mp3 only song – it’s just a shame this kind of stuff was considered for (and did actually make) the album.

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

yep, more amateur shit.

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 1:57 pm | Permalink
  5. Adroit wrote:

I was born in the same town as Robert Plant and therefore support the same English football/soccer team as he does. Like the down-to-earth trillionaire he is, he always sits amongst the regular fans, and I have been known to bump into him – literally, during the post-game rush to the exits.

I’m thinking of slipping a tape of this into his pocket next time entitled ‘Your Influence in America Has Come Down To This’.

Expect a coast-to-coast Zep tour not long after.

…………………….

Is that Scott at the end of the studio version saying something like “cool guys, that was great” ?

He’s like that ‘performance coach’ in the Metallica documentary that infiltrates the band and offers up words of encouragement to the other guys to take their minds off a downward career trajectory.

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 2:22 pm | Permalink
  6. Low wrote:

>justbluemyself wrote:

Yeah, this “song” blows.

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 3:08 pm | Permalink
  7. Chuck wrote:

completely useless.

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 3:58 pm | Permalink
  8. BrokenBeatenDown wrote:

Another very forgettable song. But I have to agree with Peegrinder that it’s not as bad as “Serendipity,” “Change The World” or “Ain’t Got Much Time.” This one’s at least listenable, but certainly there’s not much more to say about it other than that.

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 4:50 pm | Permalink
  9. Low wrote:

>I’m realizing now how terribly addicted I am to that place.

talking about realizing something, this blog made me realize how crappy weezer is. i think i’m really close to stop paying attention to them. it’s getting emberassing. or maybe not.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 12:56 am | Permalink

This song represent everything that went wrong with Maladroit.

Boring heavy metal riff with throwaway lyrics.

Lacking any kind of human emotion at all.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 3:35 am | Permalink
  11. This Is the Way wrote:

I like Change the World. Sorry, universe.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 7:58 am | Permalink
  12. John wrote:

Having just just listened to it for the first time my verdict is its poor, very very poor. In fact i can’t remember what it sounds like. Thank goodness it wasn’t released.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 9:31 am | Permalink
  13. Low wrote:

>SOYREV

i know there’s a lot of great things to come on this blog and i don’t think i’ll stop reading it, but i mean.. there’s not really a lot of songs since the release of green album that are anywhere near being good. and that’s what bothers me the most. i haven’t realized it in full until this blog popped up. mainly ’cause i haven’t listen to almost anythig post-green in last 2-3 years. but, like, whatever. que sera, sera.

also, your blog is so inspiring that i’m making one on my own, in polish and not about weezer. but, kinda, thanks. gbv and rem songblogs are not anywhere near that fun to read.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 1:46 pm | Permalink
  14. tapegun wrote:

i stand at the total opposite spectrum as low. this blog reminds me why i am still a weezer fan. i hadn’t really “listened” to the blue album in years…and i was hooked on it for two straight weeks and got an old school rocker at work to love it now.

as for as the bad stuff in weezer’s catalog – i am still plugged in with the whole =w= subculture – i’ve been through so much. i enjoy the discussions, all of the old music and some of the new stuff. i love speculating and learning about the possiblities of old demos (the new odds and ends project and alone II) that will be ‘new’ classic weezer. and well, rivers is still an interested guy.

i think the songblog is something that has renewed my interest in the band – i even wore my “if it’s too loud” shirt (circa 95 and looks every bit of it) out on a recent saturday running errands. it had been awhile. (that damn t-shirt is still the best =w= t-shirt to date).

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 7:41 pm | Permalink
  15. tapegun wrote:

strike that – rivers is an interesting guy (not “interested”).

i don’t know what he’s interested in except pop music and you tube.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 7:42 pm | Permalink
  16. skiz wrote:

this song contains possibly the most lifeless exclaimation of “all right” in the history of rock music.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Truth. Throughout this era, the band’s attempts to make obviously sub-par material “Rawk!” are hilariously feeble.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 11:42 am | Permalink
  18. Chuck wrote:

I hope “Devotion” is next…

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 5:05 pm | Permalink
  19. Jason wrote:

a very, very forgettable song. a worthless piece of shit. but i don’t think it was intended to be anything else.

I’m gonna agree that Serendipitous is worse, though. that is a stinking flaming piece of shit.

also, I MISS A6.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 6:22 pm | Permalink
  20. Chuck wrote:

It’s funny though. This song is still probably better than 99% of what I’ve heard on “Modern Rock” Radio. I could imagine what shit they would put out if they had even half of Rivers talent.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 8:38 pm | Permalink
  21. Jason wrote:

I don’t think this song is better than modern rock radio.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like a lot of the stuff you’ll hear on the radio, but at least its catchy. This song is hardly music. I’d trade this piece of shit for any catchy, cheesy, stupid Jason Mraz tune.

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 12:16 am | Permalink

There’s an Audioslave song called Your Time Has Come that reminds me of the main riff in Zep Song. It was the first track on their second album and a single to boot and for whatever reason the way it starts just reminds me of this tune.

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 10:32 am | Permalink
  23. Ace wrote:

People on here still think a “catchy” song is a “good” song. Right, Jason?

Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 5:24 am | Permalink

A good song must have 1) a catchy chorus, and 2) beat, so people can sing along. So states Weezer itself in The Weezer Manifesto Draft 3, dated 2008.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 10:14 am | Permalink

And don’t forget happiness. Everyone likes to dance to a happy song.

Sunday, October 5, 2008 at 7:01 am | Permalink