Serendipity

Also known as: “Serendipitous Jam,” “C’mon Let’s Go,” “It’s Only Rock’N’Roll,” and one of the worst pieces of detritus from an era that was mostly comprised of tossed-off schlock rock. In that sense, “Serendipity” is a Maladroit outtake par for course: another rudely generic rawk riff, a solo that scorches only in the redneck sense, mindless lyrics that retread (and malevolently shit all over) not only a recent song in the Weezer canon (“gimme some lovin’, gimme some lovin’, gimme some lovin’ / right now, you better do that”) but also a classic rock staple. Had this song been properly released, the litigious bastards in the Rolling Stones would’ve probably shot the Weez a lawsuit for the (fucking awful) chorus of, “If it’s only rock’n’roll / Why is music in my soul? / Turn it on, c’mon let’s go.”

Then again, it’s all over and out in just 90 seconds. But, as with “Change The World,” that doesn’t save it from being some of the worst 90 seconds in Weezer history.

1. NoobcakesMcGee wrote:

Not much to say here, a pretty crappy and forgettable song.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

For some reason I had always assumed that this was one of the more fan-liked Mala demo’s. Haven’t heard it before, but I guess that I was wrong.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Permalink
  3. ...Our Name Is Jonas wrote:

Although the lyrics are complete drivel, and there isn’t much to write home about regarding the actual music, I kind of dig this track.

The Two-step ‘Rockabilly’ feel that Scott throws in on the bass, and the “If It’s only Rock And Roll” chorus make this track completely listenable for me.

It’s better than some of the Mala Out-Takes, that’s for sure

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Permalink
  4. HMC wrote:

It’s not particularly good but it’s not so bad that I’d go out of my way to express my disdain for it. It feels like somethin’ they just threw out to see if anything stuck, it didn’t, and they discarded it promptly.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

They actually took a few stabs at it…but yes, they seemed to know that it wasn’t working, and abandoned it accordingly. Good on them for that.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Permalink
  6. GuessWho wrote:

If only they had done the same for… well, most of Maladroit.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 8:17 pm | Permalink
  7. sandwiches wrote:

around maladroit time i was pretty apologetic to everything weezer was putting out because it was a little harder than green, but this was one of the first demos that really started making me realize how shitty most of those songs were. I was pretty glad they got rid of this song, as i was getting worried when they had like two or 3 takes posted on .com and i was beginning to fear it was something they wanted to keep.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Permalink
  8. sandwiches wrote:

I totally agree with it being a “very worst” selection. I’ve been waiting for this song to surface to see that label slapped on it.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Nice to se an update even if it’s a short one.

There’s not really much to say about this song.

It’s one of those songs that best represents how badly things were going in the Maladroit era.

There’s surely no doubt about the “The Very Worst” label here.

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 4:22 am | Permalink
  10. This is the Way wrote:

As someone who’s been quite generous to widely hated pissflap like Sacrifice, WAAOD and Change the World, let me just say that this turd is beneath them all. Still, lol @ Rivers dicking around with fans by proclaiming it better than Purification of Water.

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 9:36 am | Permalink
  11. tsarczar wrote:

Definitely the worst on my list…

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

“Still, lol @ Rivers dicking around with fans by proclaiming it better than Purification of Water.”

I fucking forgot about that. Good lord.

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Just listened to it. I don’t think that it’s offensively bad, but it’s pretty awful still. Glad they scrapped it.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I probably place this one at the bottom of the Maladroit barrel, but I could be forgetting about an even shittier song.

Much like ‘Change the World’, it sounds like a bad commercial jingle. I don’t feel like there’s enough material in it to even call it a ‘song’ per se. It was a total waste of time for everyone involved.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Permalink
  15. CrippyBoy wrote:

Those were quite possibly the worst Weezer-related 90 seconds I’ve experienced as a fan. I’d even venture to say that it’s worse than “Change the World,” but not by much. The fact that Rivers would consider this song serendipitous in the first place is beyond me.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I’d still say that Heart Songs is worse than this.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
  17. CrippyBoy wrote:

I’d have to disagree. Regardless of how equally crappy both songs may be from a musical perspective, at least “Heart Songs” is easier to relate to due to the subject matter (especially for me because “Nevermind” was the start of my love of music). Everyone can relate to nostalgia in some form or another. However, it’s been 12 hours since I’ve heard that ironically named piece of crap and my mind is still trying reconcile how four musicians could go into a room, come up with a song so mind-numbingly awful, and still have the nerve to associate it with good fortune. The more I think about it, the more I want to believe that it’s just one big joke. I suppose, in that case, I might as well be living in Fantasyland.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

“Serendipity” is the worse song, but “Heart Songs” is more embarrassing given its widespread release.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 5:44 am | Permalink
  19. CrippyBoy wrote:

Well, I for one am thankful that I live in this universe (as crappy as it may be) rather than one where the circumstances are reversed. Could you imagine if “Serendipity” was on an album? That’d be ten times worse than some poorly executed nostalgia trip. I’d be afraid to listen to any new Weezer material forever if that was the case.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 6:31 am | Permalink
  20. tsarczar wrote:

Heart Songs is not half as embarrasing as releasing WAAOD as a single (Bev Hills is not far behind)

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 10:16 am | Permalink

I strongly disagree with the heart songs hate, but I’ll tell you why when the randomiser gets to it.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 11:07 am | Permalink
  22. CrippyBoy wrote:

Yeah, I’m with you on that. I don’t think it’s that bad of a song. Rivers has done worse, much worse when it comes to songs with a somewhat R & B-ish tinge. It’s not even the worst song on TRA.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 1:45 pm | Permalink
  23. MyNameIsJason wrote:

Heart Songs is a decent track!

Serendipity, however, is the most godawful piece of flaming garbage that I have ever heard. This song is disgustingly horrible, and is the worst piece of shit that Weezer will ever record.

Friday, May 1, 2009 at 6:42 pm | Permalink