New Joint

This outcast tune’s Green-era provenance is written all over its plain jane face: doggedly strophic structure, a simple (but catchy) vocal melody, a guitar solo that does little else than to reprise that melody, and lyrics that seem to be about not much of anything at all. I’ve always considered “New Joint” roughly equivalent to “Cryin’ and Lonely,” and not just ’cause they both leaked at the same time.

There’s really nothing interesting to say about this one, other than the fact that, like many other tunes from this assembly line period of Rivers Cuomo composition, it seems to recycle familiar elements from its contemporaries: for one, it’s really easy to sing the “He’s trippin’! / Mental slippin’!” part of “My Brain” over this song’s “now, now” bridge.

Also, like so many other tunes from this era, there seems to be a semblance of potential (however modest) here that simply goes unrealized, for fear of doing anything too interesting for mainstream consumerism (although ironically, much of the Weezer material from around the turn of the century is too unremarkable even for pop radio tastes). This rehearsal clip (skip to 5:44) shows Cuomo teaching the tune to the rest of the band, and, shorn of the dull production and monontonous arrangement that reins in the “finished version,” the melody here seems to appreciate when given a little bit of dynamic and room to breathe. Still, as a written song that potential is quite limited (lyrics like “Hey / Get off my back / What’s up with you / Ridin’ my crack?” can’t go very far), and even with some better calls in the studio, this song could’ve been “pretty good” at best.

Oh, and it’s perhaps vaguely interesting that in an earlier form, this song used to be called “Roommate.” I think the lyric that refers to catching someone eating Cuomo’s snacks is a holdover from that iteration of the song, even if it makes jack shit for sense in the context of the rewrite.

1. noobcakesmcgee wrote:

Yeah, the bridge is pretty uninspired, but I actually really enjoy the verse melody. Seems like it would’ve fit in pretty well on Green. Nothing mind-blowing here though.

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Eh. Especially with its lyrical issues, I’m glad this one didn’t make Green — kudos to the band for having enough common sense for that. Even replacing Green’s weakest song (“Crab”) with this one would’ve hurt the record…though this may have made a finer b-side than the ever venerable “O Lisa.”

Friday, August 28, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Quite a non offensive song. A enjoyable listen but nothing that stays with you after it’s over.

Don’t think it’s better than any of the songs that ended up on TGA.

Good call from the guys there. The “now, now” part is so lazy.

But like you guys said the verse melody is fairly catchy on it’s own.

Nice short writeup and I don’t think there is much else you could say about this song. Well done Soy.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 3:20 am | Permalink
  4. tsarczar wrote:

^what melack said

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 4:45 am | Permalink
  5. CrippyBoy wrote:

Catchy little tune. Nothing more, nothing less.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 6:18 am | Permalink
  6. justbluemyself wrote:

always thought it was a dig at the fans.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

In what sense, JBM?

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink
  8. justbluemyself wrote:

never mind, this song was written earlier than I thought.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 7:38 pm | Permalink
  9. CrippyBoy wrote:

It’s probably the “hey get off my back” line that threw you off, but whatevs.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink
  10. clore wrote:

I never really dug this song too much. It’s catchy, but the lyrics just don’t do it for me.

Soy, did you see Weezer when they were up in your neck of the woods? If so, what did you think? They’re not coming here to Dallas on the Blink tour, so I’m interested to hear your opinions. All I have to go by so far are these poor-quality youtube videos, haha.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Since I had already resigned myself to accepting their current setlist, I was pleasantly surprised. Seeing them on the Red tour was probably more enjoyable on the whole (“Susanne,” “Pink Triangle,” probably the only few times “Dreamin'” will ever be played), but the band was MUCH tighter now, and Rivers’ stage antics have become far less embarrassing. Definitely fun, and cool to get to hear “Surf Wax” and “The Good Life” live.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

I wonder if playing with a new drummer has forced them to tighten up?

Monday, August 31, 2009 at 10:43 am | Permalink
  13. samf wrote:

I’m posting this here since I figure it’s the most active or most recent comments section I dunno.

Anyway, in the Hot Tub entry, you mention 2 different versions of the song. The HOMiE version and the original demo version. Do you happen to know where I can get a copy of the original demo by any chance? I’m so curious to hear it.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Sam, next time, feel free to comment the “Hot Tub” entry: as you can see from the Recent Comments column on the mainpage of this site, new comments on old entries do get a good amount of discussion/notice when they go up.

As for where you can get the demo, check out weerez.com. Enjoy it, it’s definitely one of the best unreleased Weezer recordings in existence!

Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Permalink
  15. clore wrote:

Some of you probably already know, but I thought I’d share since comments are slow.

Basically, one of them wrote a song with Rivers for the next album. I overheard this on the radio this morning. Isn’t a big surprise. I wonder if Raditude will be half Weezer, half guest artists’ songs performed by Weezer. After all, I think it was Pat that said somewhere that that his new title for the album is “half and half.”

I haven’t really been keeping tabs on =w= news, so I don’t know what else there is out there. Do we know any other confirmed artists?

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Two songs (incl. CSP) are co-writes with Jermaine Dupri. Two songs (incl. “I Want You To”) are Butch Walker co-writes. Then there’s a Dr. Luke co-write, the AAR, and maybe one other regrettable name on the list…

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Permalink
  17. Brownerton wrote:

I wonder if this means Rivers is depressed again. He’s known for his guitar playing and songwriting, and he’s not doing either anymore. Sounds like somebody who’s not feeling too great about himself.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 at 10:33 am | Permalink
  18. clore wrote:

Tracklist announced today.

I’m really interested to hear IDWLYG and “Prettiest Girl.” It’s a shame a full band version of “Sheila” didn’t make the cut.

Also, anyone else surprised to see “Love is the Answer” on the tracklist?

Thursday, September 17, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Yeah, but according to Karl it’s a completely unexpected arrangement of the song and, in his words, “SICK.” Should be interesting at the least.

That said, the tracklist is pretty fucking awful.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Permalink
  20. CrippyBoy wrote:

I’m not passing judgment until I hear the damn thing.

Friday, September 18, 2009 at 8:23 am | Permalink

In some form or another, we’ve heard more than half of these songs. And IMO, only two of those have any potential to be any good.

Friday, September 18, 2009 at 10:16 am | Permalink
  22. clore wrote:

Yeah, agreed. I hope Pinkerton Deluxe gets released before 2010, but I doubt this will happen.

Friday, September 18, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

I am looking forward to a fleshed out version of “Prettiest Girl.”

Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 8:13 am | Permalink

As I am — and I’m perhaps even a little relieved it won’t be sharing physical disc space with the likes of “Girl Got Hot” and “I’m Your Daddy.” Hopefully the band jettisoned it from the album proper because it didn’t fit in with the rest of the (thus far, mostly abysmal) material.

Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

How sad is it that we’re excited a song is on the bonus disc since it may have a higher probability of being executed well?

Sunday, September 20, 2009 at 8:26 am | Permalink

For a Make Believe fan like myself I’d say “Love is the Answer” got great potential. I love the melody in both vocals and in the solo. The arrangement on the Sugar Ray version is lackluster and generic, fix that and you got one of the best PP songs on your hand.

By the way. New post soon Soy? Please!? I love you.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 3:37 am | Permalink

I too think “Love Is The Answer” has massive potential. The MB version seemed to be pretty damn good to begin with. And I’m sure, judging by Karl’s words, that if nothing else his original demo is top-notch.

I’m excited for the Rad version.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Oh I’ll try to write a new post soon. Two small ones or one big’un.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Permalink