Run Over By A Truck

On March 24, 2002, Rivers Cuomo issued a “Fair Warning” to his fans on a certain Weezer message board, the contents of which simply read: “rock/rap.” It was a threat, and in the midst of 2002 it was one that resonated deeply — at the time the combination meant Rage Against the Machine at best, and garbage like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park at worst (dire straits, either way). Unsurprisingly, the assembly of die-hards panicked as though Cuomo’s post were a telegram announcing tomorrow’s scheduled end of the world. His only offer of clarification or self-explanation read, “i am so not joking. i should have seen this coming. it’s the next break.”

Of course, the rap/rock album never transpired, but both before and since that “warning” Cuomo has incorporated many a shade of rap influence into Weezer’s music. And for the most part, whether or not that’s been successful has been a point of debate: the rapped verses and focused beat repetition/musical simplicity of “Beverly Hills” has never been a fan favorite, but won the band massive success as one of the biggest singles released in 2005 by anyone. “Mo’ Beats,” written in early ’02 (probably moments before or after Cuomo posted the aforementioned message board thread), is either one of the band’s worst songs or some kind of so-bad-it’s-brilliant transcendence. The Red Album‘s “Troublemaker” and “Everybody Get Dangerous” each employ hallmarks of hip-hop in both structure and vocal delivery, which Cuomo accredits to Eminem’s influence (despite neither sounding anything at all like Detroit’s finest). And the palpitations those fans first felt upon Cuomo’s horrible promise in 2002 finally became full-blown heart attacks last year, when it was confirmed that the list of outside collaborators for the Raditude album would include rap industry giants Polow da Don, Jermaine Dupri, and none other than Lil Wayne himself.

That said, there are at least two Weezer songs that incorporate hip-hop influences to brilliant effect. There’s Pinkerton‘s “El Scorcho,” the verses of which are the adorable, geeky white protagonist’s idea of rhyming (including a Public Enemy reference) — and then there’s “Run Over By A Truck,” written in 2007, recorded by Jackknife Lee at the tail end of 2008, and released as a Deluxe Edition bonus track for Raditude the following year.

It’s unclear as to what Cuomo’s ’07 home demo might have sounded like, but on the studio version the rap influence is quite clear. The verses sound like vintage Beastie Boys to these ears, and are — from a hip-hop perspective — certainly the best rhymes this white boy’s ever laid to tape. Cuomo dances about a boogie woogie piano shuffle, adequately on the first verse but really quite impressively on the second. True, there isn’t much to the A-B-C rhymes of “park”/”dark,” “club”/”love,” and “come”/”everyone,” but the pattern around the meter starts to get pretty cerebral in the second couplet (the identical rhyme of “foot”), especially as the interplay between the foreground and background vocals starts to escalate. It’s no Eminem, but it sure is a shock to hear coming from the “Beverly Hills” guy (and it definitely is better than some of the stuff on Relapse — sorry, Em).

That said, the rapped verses are just one of the many styles and influences Cuomo skillfully interweaves here — “Run Over By A Truck” is one of the best genre-blenders he’s mustered in ages (right up there with the likes of the ’93 demo of “Hot Tub,” for me). I already mentioned the 1930s throwback style of the piano (the second line of the song even references “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah,” a song from a 1946 Disney movie), but there’s a laundry list of other stuff swirling into the mix here: the first chorus has got a seriously fuzzed-to-fuckall guitar that I can’t even find a decent analog for (sounds great though), and the second chorus vocals have a production and harmony to them that reminds me of big glossy pop along the lines of Britney Spears (at which point Pat Wilson’s drums shift into a nice swing groove). Then comes the left-turn bridge, which is a composite of syncopated doo-wop backups, a scorching guitar lick that Brian Bell self-describes as “butterfly-picking,” and a lead from Cuomo that reminds me more than just a little bit — in both style and lyrical content — of Jellyfish, or a great Self b-side (PSA: if you don’t know Self, you need to do that).

Somehow it all works, and damn well. The lyrics are excellent as well: the “zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-day,” the lines that pointedly confuse languages (“I used to like to learn how to speak in Chinese / ‘O-Kudasai’ means ‘baby, would you please?'” — the latter being what Cuomo’s actually learned, Japanese) and sports (in the second verse, Cuomo claims to be playing basketball but winds up describing soccer moves), and his I’ll-take-anything approach to “the girls out in the club” at first sound like dashed-off throwaways. But then it sinks in that he’s evoking the feeling that the song is all about: feeling like you’ve been “run over by a truck,” in a total funk, devastated by something and unable to do anything. And as the bridge reveals, it’s a song meant to capture how Cuomo felt in the wake of his grandmother’s death. The age of the woman for whom the song is a requiem might explain all the delectable old-school genre references (and the way in which they’re tastefully intermixed with the more recent influences of big-dollar pop and golden age hip-hop), though I’m not sure whether or not Cuomo’s g-ma really did pass from this earth by way of a plane crash “on the way to see the Cleveland Browns.”

Hm.

Regardless! This one’s a winner for sure, as far as I care one of the best songs Weezer recorded last decade or any other. And it’s a nice reminder that despite the occasional clinker, Cuolmes can do the rap thing just fine when he feels like it.

Now let’s just hope and pray that that ’02 Fred Durst collaboration never leaks…

I tagged this as a “Deliverance at Hand!” demo although I’m not entirely sure that it was. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Also, over the next few posts I’m going to determine whether or not Teenage Victory Songs is one of the impossible tasks in my life actually worth pursuing. Outside interest will probably be one of the best ways of judging that for me, so if you’ve been holding out on a comment for a while this wouldn’t be a bad time to join in!

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Permalink
  2. tsarczar wrote:

Would you classify Miss Sweeney as having some sort of rap influence as well?

Good to see you back on the trail. I’m all for you continuing this, although I can see it’s a daunting and somewhat thankless task (at least from some people). I enjoy the hell out of it though, for what it’s worth.

As far as ROBAT, I’m gonna have to reserve judgement for a while. I just checked, and yep, still got that bad taste in my mouth from this album. This reminds me of my Maladroit letdown….

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Permalink
  3. danup wrote:

Definitely one of the best Weezer songs of the decade (or ever), in form, content, and style. Now that my concerns run less than ever toward half-Japanese girls doing it to me every time, the sort of aggressive indifference Rivers sings about here is, for me, more relatable [ed. maladroit-related note: even in its specificity] than anything else in their catalogue.

I’m a little amazed, the more I think about it, that this song didn’t make it to Red—its verses are masterpieces of the kind of misplaced, stylish faux-swagger that so many of that album’s songs reach toward; it’s kind of like the “World Has Turned” to Greatest Man’s “No One Else.” I love, especially, the mislabeled, loopily translated lines of “Chinese” he spits out like somebody’s they-all-look-the-same-to-me grandfather.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Permalink
  4. Robin wrote:

Another great post. I really, really look forward to these and it would definitely be a great loss to the community if you stopped! I think everybody who reads this definitely shares that sentiment.

This post definitely makes me think more highly of this song than I had in the past. I think what bothered me about it, and songs like “Troublemaker” and “Beverly Hills,” is that it just majorly lacked a strong melody, which is a thing we know for a fact Rivers can create beautifully (if nothing else, Green at least had that). The chorus(es) perhaps had a little bit of a melody, but nothing that ever strayed to surprisingly from the chords being played.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink
  5. skiz65 wrote:

I really like this song, and i would definitely consider if for placement on a “Grand Playlist”, but i think it falls slightly short of “Very Best”. It’s commendable that Cuomo tried to mix a variety of styles/influences in this track, but they never quite gel together to make a great song, in my opinion anyway. By about halfway through the second verse, the repetition starts to get a bit boring to me (although there are a number of =w= songs from the past decade that i could say that for). I do love the old timey piano and the huge fuzz bass (i think it’s bass, not guitar but i can’t make it out exactly) that comes in. Also, the bridge is one of the best bridges Cuomo’s come up with. It kind of reminds me of something from Elton John’s “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” album for some reason. Like i said, i really enjoy this song, but for some reason, i think it falls *just* short of “Very Best” placement.

Also, count me in as another vote for continuing TVS. It’s got me through many a boring day at work recently. This post was a nice little (unexpected) bonus read after Gumbytom’s GREAT blog/essay on 1998 era weezer! I love reading well written stuff on “hardcore weezer fan” topics.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Permalink
  6. arfentul wrote:

I feel terrible for thinking this, but it’s pretty funny looking back at this song after Rivers’ bus crash.

And do continue, soy! This blog is awesome – it pretty much led me into a five month weezer obsession.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Permalink
  7. Nate wrote:

I’m a big fan of this song.

I love the mixing up of the references. It really comes off like “Fuck it, I feel like shit, I’m not correcting myself.”

“Conjugating verbs with the greatest of ease” is one of the greatest lyrics ever.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Permalink
  8. catfamine wrote:

I comment infrequently, but read religiously. Please. Do. Not. Stop. Writing.

Besides, the only other person I can think of who has maintained such an excellent and comprehensive songblog (of sorts) is Alan Pollack, who covered the Beatles’ entire discography(http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-notes_on.shtml). You’re not gonna let that old fart hog all the glory, are you, Soy?

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Permalink
  9. MuphDirt wrote:

I don’t like to post anything on the internet, ever. I prefer to just read.

Though if it’ll help keep this going I’ll sure as hell start.

I love ‘Truck’. The huge fuzz on the bass/guitar damn shit awesome!

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Permalink
  10. clore wrote:

Soy, this blog is definitely worth continuing. Although you may not get to write in here as often as you would like to with your presumably busy schedule, each post is ALWAYS well-respected and greatly appreciated regardless of whether or not we agree with your arguments. This blog also strikes up more thought-provoking and intellectual conversations about this band and its music than any other community. Keep up the good work, man!

As for this song, I thought it was “ok” at first, but it really grew on me. In fact, it is one of the only songs from Raditude that I come back to. I really like the verse beginning with “I used to like-a learn how to speak-a Chinese.” The bridge melody is especially nice, complemented perfectly with the circus organ-like “hoo” backup vocals.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink
  11. dcater wrote:

I can’t confirm that this was on Deliverance at Hand but I assume it was. The way I understand it, the songs on Deliverance were all experiments in different genres and styles. And this song is definitely a little different than the usual weezer.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Permalink
  12. noobcakesmcgee wrote:

I really love this song; I’d give it Very Best status. I love how the lyrics all seem to be a bit…off. The mixture of Chinese/Japanese, the mix up of sports, there’s definitely some kinda theme and undercurrent running in the song that I really dig. I can’t remember the other lyrics off the top of my head. Do any other verses display a similar kind of intentional mistake?

Overall, a great and unique gem in the Weezer catalog!

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Permalink
  13. Madcap wrote:

Soy if you stop now you’ll never get to publish the book and make millions and meet the band and everything.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink
  14. suddelySUSAN wrote:

boring sawng 🙁

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Permalink
  15. ehsteve14 wrote:

Finally another post!!! Oh this is excellent stuff, Soy. I admit, this song didn’t do much for me at first, but it was a grower. I’ll find that I’ll have the piano line running in my head and random moments throughout the day, and it’ll bring a smile to my face. Excellent stuff from Rivers in the year 2009. What a surprise 🙂

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all the heartwarming comments, guys. Glad to know there’s still something left of the =W= fanbase’s old guard.

Tsar: Whether or not “Miss Sweeney” was inspired by rap is a question only Cuomo could really answer, but as I hear it — not really. It’s more of an operatic sing-speak than anything else…but maybe I just lean that way because it’s probably the most Pinkertonesque thing I’ve heard from them since the album’s last b-side.

Danup: “I love, especially, the mislabeled, loopily translated lines of “Chinese” he spits out like somebody’s they-all-look-the-same-to-me grandfather” — that’s one place that could have had an Eminem influence, as well. He also likes to thrown in stuff that could be read as offensive but is really just in jest (of course, not nearly to the same extent Eminem usually takes it, but still).

Nate: I love that line — reminiscent of “I must have been overcome by a spontaneous emotion!”

Dcater: Indeed, it’s a fair inference to make. The tag stands until proven otherwise.

Madcap: I think I’m the last kinda fan the members of Weezer would like to meet, insofar as I’m the obsessive type that actually analyzes everything they do, hold them to very high standards, etc. (But as entries like these show, I’m far from one of the ’90s purists who slams anything they do just on the basis of what year it was recorded.)

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Permalink
  17. Willy Dee wrote:

“(But as entries like these show, I’m far from one of the ’90s purists who slams anything they do just on the basis of what year it was recorded.)”

That is why it’d be a real shame if you discontinued. I haven’t always posted, but I always read + respect your opinion of songs. There isn’t 1 other person who could run this site.

Obviously, I don’t want to see this site die.

I can get behind ROBAT on the Very Best. And I’m interested in what other later Weezer tracks get the same treatment…

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 12:16 am | Permalink

I love how mental this song is, I can relate to it.

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 4:56 am | Permalink
  19. Burgess wrote:

I think “Miss Sweeney”‘s rap influence is mostly present in the vocal phrasing, but it’s more of a spice than the actual meat of the song.

I don’t know if “Run Over By A Truck” is one of the very best, but it’s definitely better than most anything else from Raditude, I think.

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 7:01 am | Permalink

I love “Run Over By a Truck” but I have never related it to hip-hop or rap at all. It reminds me way more of old R&B, Rock N Roll and Boogie-woogie.

I don’t hear anything in this song that makes me think of hip-hop. Kind of strange how different people can view a song huh? Just because the vocal line is more based on rhythm and texture doesn’t mean it has to sound like rap.

Anyway it’s a great song. In the long run it might stand as my favorite from Raditude Deluxe. It’s so catchy and cool at the same time and the contrast that the melodic bridge offers is just great. I asbolutely love that melancholic “ohhhhh-hoooo-ohhhh” melody, it’s awesome!

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Melack: not even in the second verse? The echoes — “Running up and down the sidelines until it got dark (dark!)” — is pure Beastie Boys! And just the lack of the melody, the focus on wordplay and metrical patterning, even lines like “the girls out in the club” — I’d go so far as to say Cuomo definitely had rap on the mind when he wrote those verses. But it’s interesting that you, someone who I think is just as in-tune with that kind of music as I am, don’t hear it at all!

But yeah, that bridge is great. A third verse would’ve dragged a bit, the extended detour was a great call on Cuomo’s part.

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 9:35 am | Permalink
  22. HMC wrote:

Great write-up for a great song. Glad to see you posting again, Soy. This blog seems to be the only bastion of civilized discourse left in the Weezer community.

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Permalink
  23. Burgess wrote:

I think the bridge is the best part, other than maybe the fuzz bass.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 7:35 am | Permalink

I have returned from my lurking for my one post that occurs every three months or so. First I’d like to say that (and I think I can speak for many, if not all of us) that it’ll be a very sad day when you choose to leave this blog behind. Your analitical posts are extremely well-crafted, passionate and detailed — something unmatched by any fansite or forum dedicated to the band anywhere. There are several times where your posts actively make me seek out material just because of the sheer conviction you exhibit when talking about them. That is no small feat, my friend. Although I’d understand if you decide to move on, I sincerely hope you’ll keep this place up and running for a long time to come! Your dedication is much appreciated.

I also wanted to mention that Burgess is absolutely right about Mrs. Sweeney. While it isn’t rap, the words and how they’re phrased definitely have some rap-influence. I am often reminded of Eminem when Rivers says the line “I think I was overcome by a spontaneous emotion” (download Eminem’s Square Dance, I think that’s what it reminds me most of.)

As for ROBAT, this one always stood out for me and is definitely ahead of the Raditude pack. It seems much more developped and well thought-out when compared to the main album — in fact, all the bonus tracks seem to be (even if I think Underdogs and Get Me Some suck on a musical level.)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 11:40 am | Permalink
  25. Jordanelder wrote:

I’m surprised you didn’t mention Greatest Man when you brought up the subject of rap and Weezer.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

HMC: Thanks. Hopefully releases like Odds and Pink DE will bring a little more sense and intelligence back to some other fan communities.

Burgess: I originally had it pegged as a fuzzed-up bass as well, but then I heard the bass doing something else beneath it so I figured it might just be a heavily-effected guitar (octave pedal, for example). Then again, they could’ve just tracked two separate bass parts from Scott. Who knows.

Ludicrosity: You like Eminem too? I’ve been listening to his whole discography this past week, he’s definitely one of the best (and most interesting) artists of the past decade-ish.

Jordan: That’s a point, but hell, I’d have to bring up that song everytime ANY discussion of genre came up…:P

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Permalink
  27. clonus wrote:

I actually think that this could have fit on Raditude. It’s weird, but not THAT weird. Ben Folds meets the Pussycat Dolls. (In a good way.)
    And I really hope that you continue the blog. Although, with all of the unfinished Weezer projects over the years, there would be something appropriate about a blog about the band not being seen through until the end. But I would rather that not happen. 🙂

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Speaking of Ben Folds, that HAS to be fuzz bass in this tune, similar to the way Folds uses it throughout his records.

And Soy, how many times do we have to tell you we give a fuck? Keep writing! You’re a stubborn motherfucker at times and I don’t always agree with you, but I enjoy reading it and responding to your posts no matter what. Keep it up.

Run Over by Truck is easily one of the few shining moments on Raditude. Of course, it’s not on the ACTUAL album (go figure,) but at least they had the decency to put it out there. It’s unique rhythm makes it stand out like a sore thumb in the =w= cataloge, but for all the right reasons.

I love how the lyrics mesh so well with the intent of the music. You can tell that for a change, the band has put together a coherent message. Ironically, this coherence was achieved in a song about being bewildered.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Sure there are some things like the phrasing for example that I can relate to rap music but I don’t think it’s enough to say it’s one of Rivers most rap inspired songs. It’s way more inspired by R&B and Boogie-woogie to my ears. Great song either way.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Permalink
  30. This is the Way wrote:

For me this song reeks of songwriting conviction, something the bulk of Raditude’s kiddy chasing schmock just doesn’t have.

The inconsistency of Rivers’ songwriting aesthetic and overall quality over the past few years is almost perversely admirable, whilst also quite infuriating.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Clonus: Pussycat Dolls! That nails what I meant for the chorus, much more accurate than Britney Spears. Great ear — but I still think that this would have stuck out like a sore thumb on Raditude.

Melack: Yeah, really big pop R&B for sure — but I mentioned boogie woogie dammit, get off my back! : P

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Permalink
  32. Xavier wrote:

I kind of just feel like this track is… listenable. Maybe I haven’t listened to it enough to grow on me, especially considering how much I despise Raditude, but it just seems like this track only stands out in comparison to the rest of that album.

Am I being too bitter?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 1:18 am | Permalink
  33. Brownerton wrote:

It sounds a lot better if you don’t listen to “Get Me Some” right before.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 10:11 am | Permalink
  34. Dlh1231 wrote:

I’m glad this song is getting Very Best recognition. From the first time heard the five Raditude bonus tracks, I’ve always thought they were the best Weezer of the decade, and Run Over By a Truck is my favorite of those five. As for continuing the blog, I would love it if you didn’t stop. I understand if you have other things to do, but reading your posts has been something I’ve been looking foward to ever since I discovered this site (about five weeks ago).

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink
  35. David wrote:

I really like this song. Great lyrics, and a classic Weezer bridge. It only makes me want to hear more DAH! stuff though. Rivers was on a roll in 2007, and I want to hear more of it.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 2:50 am | Permalink

I haven’t heard Relapse but Encore really disappointed me: The
    Eminem Show is an absolute masterpiece if you ask me. I am not overly crazy about the songs other rappers appear on but the Eminem tracks on it are all solid, even stuff like Haley’s Song is really great and challenges the usual cliches of the genre.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Whoops, meant to address that last msg to Soy. *frowny face*

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 11:42 am | Permalink

DLH: Glad to hear people keep discovering the site!

Ludicrosity: Eminem Show is definitely a great album, and while I agree that Encore is a pretty bad one, have you heard the three bonus tracks? “We As Americans,” “Love You More,” and “Ricky Ticky Toc” are their names and they’re all great, better than most of the stuff on the album itself. I’d go so far as to say that the first two are among his best work.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Permalink
  39. clonus wrote:

hmmmm…Eminem puts his best material on the deluxe edition? looks like he’s taking lessons from Rivers!

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Indeed, new Weezer and new Eminem are very similar in my mind. Both had great, unique first and second albums, a third one that was a disappointment at the time but wound up being revered by most fans, and then a worsening track record from there, and they have a lot of the same bad habits — such as the track selection mistakes. (Though if anything, Rivers is taking notes from Em…He’s gone on at length about how much he loves Eminem but I kind of doubt the Detroit emcee has much Weezer on his iPod)

When I review the new Eminem album this summer I might actually bring up Weezer, for comparison’s sake.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Actually, Eminem had three good albums… well his two best are his second and third anyway (Slim Shady LP came out before the Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show.) Also, it’d be Rivers taking Eminem’s lead for the bonus tracks since Encore came out a few years before Red and Raditude — now I am just being obnoxiously anal though, sorry. lol

I will have to look those tunes up — I don’t think I’ve heard them but it’s been so long since I heard Encore that I can’t remember.

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Haven’t thought of that before but The Slim Shady LP as The Blue Album, The Marshall Mathers LP as Pinkerton and The Eminem Show as The Green Album really fits perfectly.

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Does anyone think there might be a bit of Jermaine Dupri influence here. I was listening to Usher’s Confessions the other night (a great but flawed album)and the way the melody’s flow as if they were a rap record on tracks such as Confessions 2 and Burn seem very like ROBAT. I mean Cuomo has gorgeous melodies but on this track it really rolls on from line to line and JD seems to be the master of this. The backing vocals in the verses also remind me of confessions pt2’s falsetto backings that crop up in a similar manor on the verses.

Probably a long stretch, but the idea just popped into my head the other night.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 at 3:47 am | Permalink

Such an overlooked track because of the mess that is Raditude. Easily one of my favorite songs from 2009.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

This is my favourite Weezer song from the last 3 years.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Just reread this one; probably my favorite recent (“recent”) TVS post, if I may say so myself.

Monday, October 11, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink
  47. Burgess wrote:

Did nobody in this whole thing mention the “don’t give a fuck/damn” fakeout part? Or are my ctrl+F skills declining?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 10:40 am | Permalink

what?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Permalink
  49. Burgess wrote:

Haha, nevermind, I was remembering this wrong. MOVE ALONG!

I do guarantee the original, in-Rivers’-head version, though, had the line “I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck / I don’t give a fuck about anything” instead of “don’t care much about anything.”

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Permalink
  50. Other No One wrote:

The moment Rivers lets out that “WHOOOAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOHHHHHHH!” in the bridge, I know this was the best thing I’ve heard in the past decade of Weezer, aside from the chorus of Trampoline.

Totally get the Jellyfish/Self thing too. Saw Matt Mahaffey in NYC a month ago. He played SPM in its entirety.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink