Love My Way

I’ve already spent some time explaining why the Red Album b-sides were such a letdown, so I won’t belabor the point here. But it suffices to say that with “Love My Way,” once again some very incomplete fraction of the band covered a good song poorly — in this case, drummer Pat Wilson does a solo guitar/voice performance of a Psychedelic Furs song. The original is a cool ’80s cheese-noir dance tune; the “Weezer” cover is one that misses the obvious point (this song just doesn’t work without the vibraphone) and goes for a more spare, haunting arrangement.

‘Twas the idea, at least. I was a bit harsh on the other Pat-sung Red b-side cover “Life’s What You Make It,” giving a sort-of listenable thing “The Very Worst” tag on the basis of sheer disappointment — but this one truly deserves it. Boring, snoring, chlorine.

1. skiz65 wrote:

A bit harsh, but i can see why you’d be disapointed. I think it’s an alright version of the song, but there is nothing special or memorable about this. You are correct about “Life’s What You Make It” being better, if only because it was a slightly more imaginative re-interpretation of that song. Again, Love My Way isn’t bad in any way, but it isn’t special in any way either.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

This cover was such a disappointment. Especially since I love the original.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I dunno Skiz, Hup speculated (when he ripped it from the vinyl single and distributed it to the fanbase) that it might very well be the worst song Weezer has ever released. I would say that’s a bit of an exaggeration (and he would too, I’m sure), but it might very well be the least important. It’s just there, and I do think it simply sucks.

But yes indeed, the original is a cool song.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Permalink
  4. Willy Dee wrote:

Never heard it, no desire to hear it. For obvious reasons.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Permalink
  5. Brownerton wrote:

This sounds like something Pat tossed off in five minutes between takes of real songs. Why release it at all? It’s crazy that the band sits on most of SFTBH for over a decade but releases crap like this.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Like something Pat tossed off in five minutes between takes of Special Goodness songs, at that. This sounds like a home studio job for sure.

Obviously there’ll be a proper place and time for the remnants of the SFTBH demos, but for a b-side slot like this one, the band indeed has such a wealth of back catalog that it’s ridiculous to even inconvenience Pat to record something so meaningless. Another selection from the scores of Office demos? A “Fallen Soldier” track that won’t make it onto Odds & Ends? A particularly spiffy Deliverance At Hand! demo from Rivers? That’s in the neighborhood of 50-100 songs to choose from right there, and just a small part of the picture of a few years in the band’s life…

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Permalink
  7. Burgess wrote:

Well this certainly makes me not want to listen to this song ever! Thanks for saving me a few minutes of my life.

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Weak, indeed.

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 8:20 am | Permalink

I have to commend a couple of you on your ability to have an officially released song labeled “Weezer” placed in front of you and still resist. I’m fucked up enough that not only do I have to listen to it, but I’m self-committed to write about the thing at some point or another…

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 9:17 am | Permalink
  10. Burgess wrote:

Okay, fine, I listened to it! Or at least, most of it. Or some of it. It was pretty boring.

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 9:41 am | Permalink
  11. runnersdialzero wrote:

Hey – at least it’s a thousand times better than Korn’s cover of the same song!

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 11:21 am | Permalink
  12. clonus wrote:

This might sound weird, but I thought that there was some tie-in between the cover b-sides from this era and “Heart Songs”…like the members of Weezer (well, Pat and Scott) were recording covers of their favorite songs. Or maybe they were just lazy. But it would seem to make sense. I can’t wait until you hit Scott’s “Oddfellows” cover.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Burgess: It wasn’t criticism! I wish I had your self-control.

Runners: Not gonna go there. Don’t even wanna think about that existing.

Clonus: Haha, oh, I can wait…I can wait for a good long while on that one.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Permalink
  14. Burgess wrote:

I know it wasn’t criticism. Curiosity just got the best of me. It didn’t last very long, though.

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 6:44 am | Permalink