Love Explosion

I pondered for a few moments on how to introduce Maladroit, and “Love Explosion” wound up being what I chose. This may seem like a bit of a dubious call to anyone familiar with the album, what with it being one of the less-remembered, late-album tracks…But I’m confident that I have good reason.

I’ve always found Maladroit to be a multi-directional mess, and for its very lack of focus (and a fair share of the worst songs Weezer has ever released), I put it in close contention for being the worst record of Weezer’s career (Make Believe may just take the title; I’ll decide somewhere down the line of this blog). In part, I think the fact that it was banged out and released in less than a year after Green can be blamed for that — it was put out much too suddenly, before Green had even fallen off the charts, and its commercial failure killed the momentum and enthusiasm the band had accrued in the wake of “Hash Pipe” and “Island in the Sun.”

Secondly, the band weren’t sure just what the hell they were doing. After many hardcore fans had all but given up on Weezer after their drastic change of sound in 2001, Rivers began to get a little more self-conscious, and with the help of the aptly-named forum member Asschun, set up the Rivers Correspondence Board. Here Rivers was just as schizoid as the album this era produced, at times earnestly asking fans if they thought that “Weezer, as a whole, choked” when they made The Green Album, at other times claiming that filler like “Crab” single-handedly scorched anything from their first two albums. In any event, roughly a dozen fans were hastily chosen and, through band assistant Karl Koch, corresponded with Rivers about an ongoing series of session recordings posted to the band’s official website. These fans would effectively work as “unofficial producers” (a job for which most of them, if not all, were completely unqualified), critiquing everything from lyrical changes to vocal delivery to the contour of specific guitar solos. Everything was questioned, and Rivers, ever the obsessive, listened intently to it all — and lo and behold, the results could often be heard in the following week’s upload of newly revised takes.

Having scores of opinions help shape songs that are seldom above mediocre to begin with is generally a bad idea, and hence, it’s no surprise that Maladroit turned out the way it did. Even the title speaks to the fact that the band was clueless around this time: forum member Lethe suggested it one day, and Rivers immediately adopted it, later remarking that he loved the “evil” sound of the word. One wonders if he knew just how apt of a criticism (and descriptor) that title was: it means “inept.”

“Love Explosion,” to my ears, is the best representative for Maladroit in that it is a shambles within itself. The opening salvo of feedback sounds promising, like the introduction to “Tired of Sex” or another Pinkerton cut, but the verse immediately reins itself into staid pop territory, a la Green. But whereas Green‘s predictability is so polished and tight that it goes down smooth, the production and performance here is a bit sloppier, and the juxtaposition doesn’t really work. The chorus and post-chorus are lazy toss-offs that only mire the track deeper into its own muck. The solo helps a bit, as does the ’96-style slide guitar that comes in and out of the mix at times, but it’s still too much of a jumble to work. The greater Maladroit problem, in a nutshell.

Speaking of the Maladroit sessions, this song underwent pretty extensive revision early in January of 2002. On the first attempt, 1/08, the rhythm guitar was a little more stuttered and danceable; the next day’s take is indistinguishable to my ears, probably a tweaked mix. 1/10 saw the instrumental track that became the bed for the album version, and 1/12 added some minor revisions…But all these public session takes notably contain a glaring lyrical difference. While Maladroit‘s version has typically banal and weak lyrics (except for the interesting, repeated imagery of the line, “They’ve been wanting to kill you in your sleep,” sung in perfect pop melody), the earlier takes feature abhorrent verses about him having met a “little girlie” and being excited to “get off to pleasure each other.” Thank god Rivers had taken up celibacy by the time we next saw him.

1. tapegun wrote:

Seriously, can you file this under “Worst of the Worst” and have a selection of the worst Weezer tracks?

I would want it to only retain the extra special crap though, like this one.

I’m not a hater…but this was is just so bad….

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 7:58 pm | Permalink
  2. Tony wrote:

first, id like to say that your commentary on this site is excellent! wonderful reads, and i enjoy reading the thoughtfulness that i think i give to weezer songs, which deserve it frankly.

second, i disagree with your comment that maladroit stopped the momentum that green created. it didnt sell as much, but somehow, make believe sold almost as much as the green album, which means that not only people were still listening but more people started listening.

i agree that maladroit is full of mistakes. but at times its really quite interesting that you can hear the tension and pressure in the lyrics that rivers must have felt by using the RCB, either consciously or subconsciously. especially in space rock. another example being american gigolo. the process of making this record was a source of pain that he couldn’t keep out of the material its self. if used intelligently, this could have been a fruitful experiment, almost a performance art.

another thing that is interesting, though in a morbid sense, is that you can also hear the lack of conviction in rivers’ lyrics and vocals. i mean, he often does nothing to mask this. it is an unaffected monotone, though delivered in a way that only weezer could pull off. it becomes an ironic signature work.

none of these things define maladroit as a successful work of art. but these are themes that could have been mined and i honestly think would have made a record as interesting and intense as pinkerton. i mean, there was a real identity crisis here, and there is a truly broken heart in there somewhere, either through profound self-disappointment or the process of putting himself out there to be basically torn down constantly by these RCB kids. which, really, was not against his will. that too is interesting.

its still a fun record though.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 8:05 pm | Permalink
  3. PeeGrinder wrote:

It was definately Lethe who came up with the title, it’s even printed in the booklet.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Peegrinder: Thanks for catching the typo/oversight.

Tapegun: Interesting proposal, but I’m not sure “Love Explosion” would even make the worst of the worst list…it still has some redeeming qualities, whereas there are enough Weezer songs in the catalog that are virtually devoid of any. But, what does everyone think? Should we make “Best of the Best” and “Worst of the Worst” tags? I think they might make for interesting collections of songs, once all is said and done.

Tony: Thanks for the props. As for your point about sales, MB would’ve sold exorbitantly with or without Maladroit. “Beverly Hills” was a total smash; it was going to happen no matter what.

As for your insights about Maladroit having had several traits that could have been exploited to artistic greatness, I had never thought of it like that before but I really must agree. Pinkerton? Not quite…but a close third behind Blue, absolutely.

What is being a Weezer fan, if not the dreams of untapped potential?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 8:20 pm | Permalink
  5. This Is the Way wrote:

Excellent write up. Maladroit has its place in my personal musical lineage but I readily accept its limitations. Even in the wake of Green’s weaker moments, stuff like Take Control and Love Explosion seems so utterly streamlined and formulaic, completely devoid of any personality or inspiration. ‘Tis a shame. I’m glad Rivers isn’t as Henry Ford-esque in his approach anymore.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 6:38 am | Permalink
  6. Stupidsuck wrote:

I remember hearing this song for the first time when it was performed live as “Do You Want Me to Stay?”

I thought it was a fantastic song and just hoped it would be on the next album. I was prtty disappointed with the lyrical overhaul into Love Explosion because it seemed to change the song into something it’s not. I liked it better as the dialogue of a confused guy trying to interpret the mind of a woman who won’t just say what they want.

I still prefer it as Do You Want Me to Stay, especially because of the more conviction in his voice especially in the pre-chorus.

I’m interested in your thoughts of “Do You Want Me To Stay?” vs “Love Explosion”

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Shoot; I had forgotten that LE used to be DYWMTS. I guess the only thing I can do now is give a separate entry to DYWMTS, eventually…In the meantime, I feel it’s more or less the same song, with slightly better lyrics on DYWMTS’ end of it.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 11:12 am | Permalink
  8. Martin wrote:

Maladroit is like chugging a soda and feeling an intense scratch and burn down your throat that you weren’t entirely braced for. Sometimes, it’s all one could want, and other times it’s just not what is desired.

When I first heard Maladroit, sometime around late 2002, I found Love Explosion to be one of the more enjoyable songs. I’ve got to admit, it took me a long time to come to terms with how much I love Maladroit. I can recall so many instances where Maladroit has been as therapeutic as Pinkerton.

Whenever I want to feel like I am without emotion, just kind of a micro-renegade, a bit of an “I don’t care” type, or trying to say ‘whatever’ to the universe, I listen to Maladroit. So I’m stuck doing something I don’t want to do? Typical, that’s how it goes for me. THAT is where I find Maladroit meaning the most to me.

As for the RCB, that was most definitely an artist who was somewhat aware that he was nowhere on par with is former self. And the way he reacted is exactly the same way that I react when I’m trying to come to terms with something like that. He wrote Maladroit. I would have listened to Maladroit. Sometimes when you feel like you’ve lost everything, all you can really do is just act like you don’t care at all.

It’s a lot easier to look back and love Maladroit now that I’m not looking back on it as the most recent Weezer release. It’s also easier now that I’m not in an era where we are at a lack for new Weezer material. Now I can look back on it and love it for being an album solely made up of guitar licks, shredding, badass lyrics, and nonsense. And I love that.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 11:44 am | Permalink
  9. GumbyTom wrote:

I wouldn’t go as far as saying that it was Maladroit’s commercial failure that killed the band’s momentum. According to Rivers (in his letter to the Harvard Dean from summer ’04) he says it was his own disenchantment with the life he was living, that is, were the rock-star eccesses he fought so hard to gain capabable of supporting the life he knew he should be living.

“Rivers began to get a little more self-conscious, and with the help of the aptly-named forum member Asschun, set up the Rivers Correspondence Board.”

And I wouldn’t put it that way either. If anything Rivers was not self-conscious and was throwing himself out there, regardless of the consequences (see the “little bitches” comment). Asschun, Queero and some other guy (Pickles?) were responsible for the RCB–it served as an alternative to the “other” Weezer board (hosted on ezboard), and Rivers came along a month or so into its creation.

If anything, Rivers had a friendly, yet adversarial relationship with those of us who were on the RCB. He didn’t listen to those who wanted a return to more personal music, saying things like (all quotes from ‘ace’ on the RCB):

“you guys have crap taste in music–no wonder you don’t like weezer.”

“i prefer my “post hiatus” material. however, i appreciate, and, obviously, take into consideration, everyone’s concern .”

“listen, gays, the creative inertia of this band is so strong right now that the success or failure of any one album isn’t going to make a shit’s bit of difference. ”

“on maladroit, i intentionally disconnected my emotions from the early stages of the songwriting process (except for slob). i would say that’s a major omission, in terms of my instincts. ”

It’s pretty clear that while he wanted fan input on some issues (what to do with certain songs), he didn’t use our opinions or advice on others (keep Sandwiches Time, go back to more personal lyrics). And he didn’t care at all about what we thought of the band’s previous output, or the songs he wrote six short years before. If anything, he was amused and played up the notion that he thought those songs sucked.

All that being said Soyrev, I actually agree with some of your points about Love Explosion. I love the solo and the slide guitar, but the chorus is a little too much like Locomotion for me to fully get behind this song. And the lyrics to this one are weak, although I did really like the “perpertrator of good vibes in a world where no one’s kind to themselves” from one of the earlier versions. If you think about it, it works.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 3:01 pm | Permalink
  10. Anthony wrote:

I agree with Gumbytom….I try to like the song, but the Locomotion ripoff won’t let me. The chorus is so close it ruins the song for me.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I like your perspective here, Martin.

Gumbytom: Perhaps Rivers’ disenchantment came, in part, from Maladroit’s commercial failure? I mean, he probably wouldn’t have been feeling quite so disappointed and detached if the record had gone multi-platinum like he had implied it would. (The thought sounds ludicrous now, doesn’t it?)

Also, yeah, Rivers was extremely confident at times (see my previous paragraph), but also really vulnerable at others. How often do you get a million-selling band’s frontman on a fan forum asking if they thought his band “choked” on an album that came out mere months ago?

Interesting, I didn’t know that about the RCB’s history. What did they call it before “Rivers Correspondence Board”? Or was that just a joke that wound up becoming true?

“Creative inertia”? Wouldn’t one want his creativity to be in motion?

And I wish he had taken more of your advice, in that case. “Sandwiches Time” rocks.

I do like that “perpetrator” line; has a kind of Robert Pollardian quality to it.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 11:15 pm | Permalink
  12. Martin wrote:

The Maladroit lifestyle is one you can only live so long. I would assume that Rivers disappointment with that lifestyle was when he realized that it wasn’t even helping the band, but only hurting the band. He’d taken up smoking, and I think just tried to take way too large of a role in Weezer.

“How often do you get a million-selling band’s frontman on a fan forum asking if they thought his band “choked” on an album that came out mere months ago?”

Exactly. You know it was in the back of his mind all along.

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 4:39 am | Permalink
  13. GumbyTom wrote:

Maladroit may have been a failure, but at the time, Weezer was riding a wave of success. In the late summer-early fall of ’02, they had just finished a year of successful shows (The Midget Tour and all its variations, Dusty West, World Cup and Enlightenment) that if they weren’t sellouts, were pretty close, they were preparing a DVD, were on magazine covers throughout the year and had a commitment from the label to go ahead with their next album. They had a lot to be optimistic about when it came to the prospects for album four.

If anything, I think Rivers’ disenchantment stemmed from the life he led. If putting out a successful album was his goal, why not return to the formulae which made his band a success in the past? Instead, he gave away half his possessions, sold his house and made other radical lifestyle changes, which, eventually, would lead him and the band on the path to their greatest success.

As for the RCB, well, here’s the history from what I remember. It was formed in Jan-Feb of ’02 by the Weezer Ezboard members Asschun, Queero and Pickles as a reaction to whatever was going on on the Ezboard at the time. I think it originally stood for ‘Rivers Critique (or Criticism) Board,’ and most of the criticism was negative.

Sometime early after its creation, “ace” started posting. He’d post brief snippets of text about Rivers’ mindset, but it wasn’t until he posted that he was “thinking of growing a beard” and Rivers actually making a public appearance with a beard that people realized ace was indeed Rivers. Membership soared, and the ruling triumvirate quickly asserted their power. They shut down access and registration and started banning users for the most capricious of reasons (somehow, even though I disagreed with them on a lot of things, I kept my mouth shut and managed to survive).

There was some internal struggle and Pickles deleted the whole board, but it was rebuilt and ace came back. He started a lot of conversations on the board and joined in on many others (I have a running text file of some of the things he said-if I had known better at the time, I would have saved more). He said he was working on sorting out every song of his, and when it was complete, there would be an “en masse” leak of demos, forgotten songs, etc. He even leaked several tracks to board members (I believe Come To My Pod, Little Sister, 1,000 Years, Hot Tub, Oh No This Is Not For Me, and Afraid of What We Need The Most are just some of the songs he leaked). Overall, he contributed throughout the summer of ’02, (shedding light on his plans to bring in Shmedly and telling some info about his first meeting with Rick Rubin), but then just stopped showing up.

Ace returned one night in March of ’03, giving the board the original demo of Hold Me, soliciting opinion and talking about it a little bit. A few nights later, he did the same with the demo of I Don’t Want Your Lovin’ and the 2 minute clip of Hold Me electric. He talked for a little, and then disappeared again.

Over the next few years, Rivers stayed away, but Karl stayed, saying what he could about the progress of the fifth album and sharing nuggets of Weezer history. When MB came out, believe it or not, the response was actually positive. But Queero (who was the only member of the original three founders who was still around) didn’t like the album, or the reaction to it, and shut the whole thing down.

I’m sure I have more to share about what Ace said and the board, but I’ve already typed a lot and I’m getting hungry.

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 4:20 pm | Permalink
  14. Martin wrote:

thanks for sharing that!

Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 6:10 pm | Permalink
  15. ProdigyLover wrote:

Do You Want Me to Stay — yeah, as people have mentioned, I think you should add something about this to the entry. Fans really liked the song when they played it live. It showed fans that he wasn’t about to ditch solos altogether.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

I apologize for the oversight. “Do You Want Me to Stay” will get its own (if brief) entry eventually.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

As another original RCB crew member (my monkier then was Weezer99er) I have to say that GumbyTom has a pretty terrific memory.

Everything he said is dead-on, although it’s important to note that in its hey-day the RCB still had upwards of 50 people on it. There was well over the dozen originally mentioned by Soyrev.

Like Gumby, I also disagreed heavily with the way the board was run (the RAMPANT gay jokes and legitimate homophobia for one) but stayed pretty much out of the fray to ensure I could still read the board and get to give my 2 cents to Rivers. I wasn’t banned until only a couple months prior to its demise. Letting Queero know what I thought of him didn’t win me any favors, but thankfully, the board was pretty much dead anyway.

My favorite moment probably came when Rivers claimed that Only in Dreams was an awful and boring overly-long song, and the place went absolutely nuts. Comments like that lend credence to what Gumby mentioned earlier – Rivers enjoyed screwing with us immensely, but simultaniously took many of our opinions pretty seriously.

The one thing that will always bother me though is that Rivers befriended 3 of the biggest A-HOLE fans on planet earth and gave them unprescedented access to his mind and music. For that, I will always hold a grudge. I am to this day a little dissapointed that of all the fans, he thought Asschun, Queero, KyleVH… were the best he could find for advice. Really? Come on, Rivers. At least Ridd was always cool.

Anyway, I’ve got a shitload more I could say about the RCB days too, but I gotta get back to work. I’m sure both Gumby and I could answer any more questions on the matter. Hell, we could probably make a whole other section of the blog just for this topic.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Well, I said that around a dozen folks had been especially chosen to coordinate w/ Rivers via Karl, which, for a time, actually happened somewhat regularly…I wasn’t talking about the membership of the board as a whole. Unless you mean to say that actually 50 people were chosen to correspond w/ Rivers via email, but that seems a little excessive and I think I got the dozen figure from River’s Edge, which is generally reliable in what information it does provide.

Also, Rivers has offered up plenty of pretty legitimately homophobic comments in his time, so maybe he appreciated Asschun and Queero’s sense of humor. Sounds like the kind of rationale Mala-Rivers would use.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Ah, I see what you meant now. I just thought I should clarify to those not in the know that after its inital tiny crew, it grew pretty considerably. To further clarify, I wasn’t in that first 12, but in the first wave of new recuits.

You’re also correct in that Rivers contributed heavily to the running gay-joke-a-thon that was the RCB. He seemed to enjoy the teenage stupidity and cocky nature of those in charge of the board. Mala-Rivers was pretty hard to predict, and it isn’t out of the realm of reason that he somehow he found a strange appreciation for their ability to simultaniously be thoughful and incredibly annoying/cocky.

Gumby’s reference to the beard growth was one way ace proved himself to be Rivers, but the gag that put the nail in the coffin on Ace’s legitimacy was the legendary “sLiM pEnsi” sticker that Rivers put on his guitar where it could be easily seen in photos at a concet.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

So is that…like, an Eminem reference and a dick reference? At the same time?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I think it was an Eminem, dick, AND “loLz look how funny typos online can be” reference – all wrapped up in to one.

I honestly can’t remember how Rivers first used it on the board. I do know he used to have it as a mini-sig underneath is screen name. Perhaps someone else can chime in and help us out here.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Just for historical accuracy, it should also be known that Rivers posted as “ace” even on the .com site occasionally. “Zarathustra” was another monkier he used, although that one was never able to be proven completely.

The .com question and answers were obviously quite different, and he typically wasn’t as outrageous to those fans.

almost like the onlie crew was his traveling family during this time. No matter where he went, he could always turn to a small group of people online that he felt comfortable enough to make inside jokes with and visit daily on the RCB. Sophomoric as much of the coversation could be, it was probably the sense of community he liked.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

This just in: Pat and Karl believe this to be the worst Weezer song.

It’s pretty bad…but there are definitely some turds several strata below it. I didn’t even give this one The Very Worst!

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Not the worst. It’s just deadly boring like most of Maladroit.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 3:32 am | Permalink
  25. CrippyBoy wrote:

Deadly boring? I must be dead a thousand times over for enjoying it so much. Never understood all the “Maladroit” bashing on this blog. I suppose that’s because I bought the album when it came out and had yet to hear “Pinkerton” at that point. The greatness of their first two albums can really spoil some of the enjoyment to be had from their later stuff.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 8:25 am | Permalink
  26. noobcakesmcgee wrote:

This is a guilty pleasure of mine, but only in its Do You Want Me To Stay? incarnation.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I’ma give that one its own separate (brief) entry in due time.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Permalink
  28. MS wrote:

this song is better than I Want You To.

Monday, September 28, 2009 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Can’t quite agree with you there, but neither are particularly great. I don’t mind a good live version of “I Want You To,” though.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Also, it’s funny that when I started this blog, the “Worst Weezer Album” debate was a simple matter of Maladroit versus Make Believe. Neither are looking quite so bad anymore, my claim that Mala has “a fair share of the worst Weezer songs ever released” is already terribly dated, Red probably fails harder than either of them as a full album and Raditude bodes to be worse yet. Oh that Weez!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Worth mentioning is the recent Karl interview quote:

“Pat says love explosion is the worst weezer song. i think im with him on that.”

Also, I am about to reach a new level of geekiness, as I can shed light on the ‘SiLm PenSi” thing (please don’t ask me how I remember all this, i’m embarrassed enough):

Prior to the forming of the RCB, Queero, Asschun et. al. frequented this ezboard here (which isn’t an ezboard anymore, and is now basically defunct):

In those days, the admin of the board could put custom titles that appeared under the usernames (much like the ‘Hero Member’ thing on A6). At the time I believe it was probably the admin JesusChrysler who gave the user ‘Slim Mackeral’ the title ‘Slim Penis’.

Then as the RCB formed, one of the Queero triumverate, who again had come from the RWA, gave someone else the title of “slim pensi LOLZ” or something to that effect on their own board.

Rivers obviously saw it and was tickled by it. He was pretty stoned in those days.

And yes, I was on the RCB for a while, and was banned shortly prior to Maladroit’s release… as I recall, for not posting enough.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Art, I remember that pretty vividly, and I think you’re almost dead-on in your historical accuracy to the entire “Slim Pensi” story.

Did they place “slim pensi” under Ace’s name prior to him doing the sticker, or after? I can’t remember, but I know for sure that badge of honor was on Ace’s name.

I seem to remember =w= touring in Europe at the time all this happened to while they were still playing Yellow Camero at shows. I could be mixing things up in my head though. Do you remember, Art?

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I’m inclined to say it was probably after the sticker appeared, but I could be wrong.

The European tour sounds about right, especially since you can see Rivers looking at the RCB in Karl’s Slob ‘music video’, which was filmed during that tour. ‘Hyper Extended Midget tour’? was that it?

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

I believe this is the imfamous photo (sorry its so low grade)
    [IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh1/wepeel9er/SlimPensi.jpg[/IMG]

Using “The Way Back Machine,” I determined that I was in fact right – it was in Europe in the 3/11/02 update from their show in Portugal.

If you’re patient you can look back through ALL of Karl’s old news at

It clearly shows that this was the first show the stickers appear on the guitar, plus I even seem to remember that photo. The original version was of higher quality, and when zoomed in, you could clearly see the “slim pensi” sticker.

That’s got to be it.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

My photo link didn’t want to work – try this one.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

People could actually glean anything from that picture? Sheesh.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Most of the originals could be clicked on and expanded to a larger size. Even if I’m mistaken on that being THE photo, you can scroll through Karl’s Corner and see stickers plastered all over Rivers guitar in the next several concert photos.

It’s definitely one of those, but I’m still pretty sure I’ve got the right one. I wish I could find a higher resolution version to be totally certain.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 6:52 am | Permalink
  38. MS wrote:

Worth mentioning is the recent Karl interview quote:

apparently “Automatic” didn’t come up in this discussion.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

MS, me and Art already mentioned it, comments 23 and 30!

“Automatic” ain’t spectacular, but it isn’t even the worst song on Red. I’d actually say it’s the most successful non-Rivers song on it.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Permalink
  40. noobcakesmcgee wrote:

Just reading all the comments/stories here makes me wish Rivers would pop up on the boards (or here!) every once in a while. I think through all his insults and jokes and self-deprecating comments, he’s one of those people who can’t stand it if even one fan is unhappy. Some of these old stories plus new stuff like his tweets (the closest thing we’ll get to Rivers contact) reveals he is still as vulnerable as ever when it comes to criticism. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like he’s really learning from it or applying it in the right way at all, which seems to be a common theme in his career (ex: 1000 Keep Fishin’s do not equal one Say It Ain’t So, and then gleaning from this insight that he must write choruses with yelling/loud emotion and we get IWTTYHT).

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 9:38 am | Permalink

I actually think that lesson he “learned” from the writing process of IWTTYHT lead to pretty much all of Make Believe: a little more dynamic in those songs, but all of them have those big, explosive, shouted choruses. But of course, a chorus that’s shouted is far from the only thing that makes “Say It Ain’t So” what it is!

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Ok completely off topic here, but I need advice. Do I dare spend $160 for 3 tickets are go to the Aragon Ballroom show for Weezer’s 1st gig of the tour? Is it unrealistic to hope that the setlist improves over the last couple months of awful selections?

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Yikes. I…wouldn’t, especially if you’ve seen them recently. My plan is to wait and see what happens at the early shows, and if it’s a huge improvement then I’ll pony up for some scalped pit tickets…Otherwise, I’m not gonna take the gamble.

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Permalink
  44. noobcakesmcgee wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect major setlist changes from these co-headlining tours.

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

If they play ANY deluxe track from the past two albums less “King” and “Get Me Some” I will go.

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Permalink
  46. Brownerton wrote:

Pat plugged “Prettiest Girl” in his Twitter feed, so maybe there’s hope for that song.

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

I wish it wasn’t the first show on the tour, but I don’t know if I can stomach missing them at the Aragon no matter how much I loath most of Raditude.

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Well, looks like hopes for even “Prettiest Girl” in the set were completely over-optimistic…I really wish this last flame with mainstream popularity would extinguish so that they could mix up the setlist finally.

And “Love Explosion” — I like this song a little bit more than I used to. A la Green, it’s good for summer drives with the windows down (or a nice steady-state workout at the gym).

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Permalink