Ain’t Got Much Time

I’m not sure if I’m missing anything, but I only have one version of “Ain’t Got Much Time,” a live take from the Extended Hyper Midget Tour dated 2001/11/29. Although never released, it’s even shorter than the recently-discussed “Space Rock,” beginning and ending in a lean 100 seconds. The lyrics are typical Maladroit era excrement — “Why can’t you get me on the line? / I swear to you I ain’t got much time” — and the hard rock-lite riff before the verse is a bit clunky. But the verse’s three-part vocal harmony is pretty awesome, a bit like the classic Beatles intro to the forgotten Weezer gem “O Girl.” From there, the trim chorus has some nicely interwoven lead guitar and vocal melody, and the bridge features some good vocal interplay between Brian Bell and Cuomo. In this context, those metallic riff breaks (and the shredding solo) actually kind of work — even the lyrics feel more forgivable. With a little work, this could have been something; as it is, “Time” is still better than most of the album that passed on it.

Relistening now, I find it worth noting that this song contains the first recorded instance of the now-infamous Rivers Cuomo “yea boi,” at the very end of the performance.

More recently:

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 10:44 am | Permalink
  2. Martin wrote:

It’s really catchy. It’s fun to listen to, but it’s not exactly changing the way I listen to music either. I do consider it one of the better songs from the Maladroit era. Should have gone on the album.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 11:30 am | Permalink
  3. Low wrote:

yep, it’s really good. this and fall together are imo the best representations of what rivers was trying to achieve with maladroit.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 11:40 am | Permalink
  4. Adroit wrote:

The worst Weezer song I have ever heard, and I try to look for the positives in all their recordings. None here.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Permalink
  5. BrokenBeatenDown wrote:

There’s definitely a studio version of it. I have it on my HD, but I’m not sure if weerez.com has it or not.

Either way, it’s main asset is the fact that it’s one of the few Maladroit demos in which I can actually remember the chorus. Although, I think I remember it for all the wrong reasons. I agree that the heavy-metal riff is pretty horrible – it’s a song-killer for me. I do like the bridge though.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

I’m really glad the weerez media section is available, because I deleted this song from my computer about 7 years ago. Anyways…

Rev, this is one post I don’t identify with at all.

Where you hear the potential for an ‘amazing pop-metal’ song, I hear a disjointed abomination… formed of a few lazy, half-baked ideas.

I remember back when these mp3s were being handed out, songs like this were turning even the most diehard fanboys against the band. The fact that they saw fit to perform this rubbish for an arena full of people, and then post it for the world on their website paints a pretty chilling picture of how out-to-lunch Rivers was, and how little the rest of the band cared at the time.

I also take umbrage with your use of the word ‘shredding’ to describe the solo. Shredding implies some kind of display of technical skill, which this does not in the slightest.

In summary:

– Let’s not praise songs for their ‘potential’. They are what they are… and this one is a clunker in every respect.
    – Don’t confuse ‘aimless wanking’ with shredding.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 5:07 pm | Permalink
  7. tsarczar wrote:

The only versions I have are 11-29-01 from St. Louis and 1-6-02, from the studio. Neither of them are very good, imo.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 2:04 pm | Permalink
  8. Low wrote:

can someone upload the studio version?

Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Yes, please!

Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 2:54 pm | Permalink
  10. tsarczar wrote:

Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Ugh, yeah — that’s pretty putrid. Live is certainly the definitive version, and the one to which I was referring in this post.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 4:36 pm | Permalink
  12. tsarczar wrote:

Rev: LOL You’re coming to the same realization I had 6 years ago. Welcome to old fandomhood.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 4:43 pm | Permalink
  13. Low wrote:

thanks! studio version’s not that bad. melodies are still pretty awesome. and that little amelodic helmet/cky riff is still kinda cool too.

“i can’t believe this world is gonna die” line made me laugh.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I DO get what people find redeeming in this kind of Maladroit-era material. There are some nice melodic contours to most of them, and most are pretty hooky (due to being simple and repetitive, but whatever)… It’s just the blatant and total lack of craft and thought behind them that makes them so offensive to me.

[i]That metallic riff is pretty dumb, but the verse is a cool concept, the chorus is legitimately catchy, and that bridge is a pretty nifty sugar rush. And all in 100 seconds![/i]

That’s the thing though:

I hesitate to even call that thing a riff, because it sounds like something my 6th grade beginner guitar students would come up with after a lesson or two.

Similarly, the “verse” “chorus” and “bridge” can barely be described as such… they sound like half of a complete thought each, if even that… and then they’re just tacked together in a totally artless way. I’m not a fan of the “But it’s catchy!” defense, because know what? So is Limp Bizkit’s “Nookie”.

etc. etc. etc.

Ugh. for me, “Ain’t…” just brings back the bad emotions from the time all these songs were put out… the fans were faced with a band that clearly no longer gave a shit about what they were doing, and it was increasingly difficult to give a shit in return.

I feel the same way about most of the songs of this one’s ilk, so I’ll probably spare you these rants in the future.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 9:04 pm | Permalink
  15. John wrote:

I just listened to this for the first time, along with some mala demos and faith in the light, and i think its pretty forgettable and nothing special. Unlike faith in the light and Acapulco which i can wait to discuss.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 1:01 pm | Permalink
  16. tapegun wrote:

while i agree it sounds somewhat unfinished and the lyrics are lazy…i think it’s cool…well now, i know why soy had not much to say about it. it’s short, sweet and that’s about it.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 9:06 pm | Permalink
  17. John wrote:

My grammars been in steady decline recently!

Monday, September 22, 2008 at 10:41 am | Permalink